What is Souvenaid®
- Souvenaid® is a medical drink supported by 20 years of research that nutritionally supports memory function in the early stages of Alzheimer’s disease.1-4
- Souvenaid® is powered by Fortasyn Connect®, a unique combination of nutrients formulated to support the growth of brain connections.5
- Souvenaid® is available in either ready-to-drink liquid in Vanilla, Cappuccino and Strawberry flavors or powder in Vanilla & Banana and Lemon & Orange flavors and should be taken once daily for a period of at least 6 months.
- Souvenaid® Connections is a patient support program run by Nutricia offering support, services and discount pricing.
- Souvenaid® is a food for special medical purpose for the dietary management of early Alzheimer’s disease.
The brain communicates through a vast network of billions of nerve cells. These nerve cells or ‘neurons’ link with each other via connections known as ‘synapses’. Synapses allow communication between neurons and make it possible to create and recall memories.
Throughout our lives, we continually lose and re-grow these important brain connections. In a healthy brain, the amount of new synapses balances the loss of old ones, allowing for a sustained net number of synapses.
In the case of Alzheimer’s disease, the loss of synapses becomes accelerated. This loss of synapses is one of the key features of Alzheimer’s disease
What we eat in our daily diet plays an important part in the process because the brain needs key nutrients, such as omega-3 fatty acids, phospholipids, choline, uridine monophosphate and B vitamins to support the generation of new synapses. Research has shown that people with Alzheimer’s disease often have low levels of some key nutrients.6
Souvenaid contains a unique combination of key nutrients, called Fortasyn Connect®, to support the growth and function of synapses in the brain5 and has been proven to nutritionally support memory function in the early stages of Alzheimer’s disease.1-3
Souvenaid® is available in either ready-to-drink liquid in Vanilla, Cappuccino and Strawberry flavors or powder in Vanilla & Banana and Lemon & Orange flavors and should be taken once daily for a period of at least 6 months.
Souvenaid® is a Food for Special Medical Purposes as classified by Food Standards Australia and New Zealand (FSANZ) as Standard 2.9.5. Souvenaid® is prescribed by a treating health care professional for the dietary management of early Alzheimer’s Disease/Mild Cognitive Impairment and can be funded as part of a Homecare package. Souvenaid® must be used under medical supervision.
- Scheltens P et al. Alzheimers Dement 2010; 6: 1–10.e1
- Scheltens P et al. J Alzheimers Dis 2012; 31: 225–236
- Soininen H, et al. Alzheimer’s Dement. 2021;17:29–40
- Shah RC et al. Alzheimers Res Ther 2013; 5: 59
- Mi W et. Al. Nutrition 2013; 29:1080-9